July 13th at Stiwdio 3, Cardigan
10am – 4pm
An introduction to paper marbling with Jude Riley. Learn a new skill and create an array of beautiful papers to take home.
Following a short presentation on the history of the ancient art of marbling, and description of the world’s three great marbling traditions, you will learn the basics of European paper marbling. This is familiar to many from the end papers of fine old books. You will begin by producing simple designs and as your confidence grows throughout the day you’ll be introduced to more complex traditional designs. Later in the day, there should be opportunity for you to explore the technique and produce your own designs.
By the end of the workshop, you will have many sheets of A4 paper to take home. There will also be one A2 marbling bath set up for you to use and produce one or two large sheets from. You will leave having learned basic marbling skills, and will be able to continue to experiment with some basic equipment at home.
• Professional tuition from Jude Riley
• Materials are provided however you are welcome to bring along your own paper if you have something particular that you’d like to use.
• Please wear old clothes and an apron as marbling can be very messy.
• Your papers may not be completely dry by the end of the day. If this is the case we will keep them safe at Stiwdio 3 for you to collect when you can.
• Teas provided. We have a wonderful new café up and running so you can get lovely coffee and cakes or lunch if you wish.
• Group of 6 people max